Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day -1: I've made up my mind.

Hello. My name is Stephen. I am 24 years old, recently graduated from college, and am working as a computer programmer for an awesome company in PA. I'm loving my work, where I live, and who I live with (a great friend of mine). Life's pretty damn good. There are a few things I'd like to change about myself: I'd like to stop buying songs off iTunes all the time, I'd like to learn to appreciate the outdoors more, and I'd like to drop this extra midget I'm carrying around my midriff.
I used to be rail-thin (long time ago) - so much so that a few pictures of my younger self are lovingly-titled Ethiopian-Steve (not very sensitive). I was small for much of my life. Genetics and choice had a lot to say during high school. Genetics, because both my grandfathers were over 6' tall in their primes (my dad's dad was 6'5"!). My shoulders widened, my legs lengthened, and before I knew it I was over 6' fall. However, at the same time, my diet worsened, my athletic habits and commitments were atrocious, and my appearance was no priority for me. I began to grow in many directions - up and out. I sprouted a belly around the time I sprouted facial hair, but it didn't concern me. I continued to play sports (and I did quite well in a few of them), but my eating habits weren't doing me any favors (as was working at a fast-food joint where I could acquire leftovers to my hearts content).
So I entered college slightly overweight and didn't improve. Constantly-accessible food, poor sleeping habits, and no gym drive kept my weight at an upward climb. When I graduated (in May) I weighed over 300 lbs. I'm not short (I'm 6'2"), but what weight I do carry is not muscle. Most of it is fat. Since I've started my job, I've noticed my strength being sapped as well. Climbing and descending stairs leaves a funny feeling in my legs - muscles that once propelled me to new floors now are exhausted from simple stair-climbing. I've decided to do something about that.
There's a program called Couch to 5k. It is a short 8-week program that starts you on the path to good running and an appreciation for exercise. I've decided to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment